Sunday, November 14, 2004

This documentary....

Last night, I watched this documentary that the girlfriend had recorded for me, and it was called "Soldiers Pay". I don't know who produced it, but it was a short documentary (about 30 minutes long), and looked like a student production. The producers interviewed this general, some soldiers, and "experts" on the matters and the functions of the government, psychology, and military.

One part of the documentary talked about the group who found the huge stash of cash that was near Baghdad, and how this one Sgt. was made to be the fall guy for the group who tried to steal the cash. Not having read any of the supporting documents about that case, I can only say that you just cannot trust an institution as flawed as the army. One of the reasons why I can never be a life in the military, aside from the gay issue, is that even if you can get to meet some of the best people on this planet in the military, there are also some people who can make your life a literal living hell. If that sgt. was truly wronged, I hope that one day he'll be able to clear his name.

I remember joking about what to do if our group had found huge stashes of cash, and I am kind of glad that we didn't find anything of that sort. Greed makes people do horrible things to each other.

I think it's a good thing that there are some people who are raising issues about veteran care, logistic problems facing the units already out there (Ours was so bad, our saving grace was that we didn't do the actual patrolling/fighting.), and whether or not it was right for us to goto Iraq. (Even if it will piss some people off.) I don't believe in asking questions for the sake of controversy, rather, to improve a situation.

I choose not to utilize any of the veteran's administrations medical services because I want the people who really need it to use it. I came back home relatively healthy and sound. (Aside from having some doubts about if the various doctors and nurses are real and degreed!)

Still kind of under the weather, but hopefully, I'll get better in a few days. We've had some yummy Italian food at this eatery a few blocks away from our apt., watched a whole bunch of snowboarding films on WAM! channel, and baked some chocolate chip cookies! The girlfriend built a fire in the fireplace... very nice! I can't think of a better way to nurse a cold!!

No comments: