Sunday, August 03, 2008

Seattle, Hawaii, and Monterey in 25 days Pt. 1

Hi all!
I just came back from the aforementioned trip, courtesy of Uncle Sam! Overall it was a bittersweet trip, bitter because I have the sense that this will be the last trip of this sort for me. My company commander also found out about my orientation (but at this point, I'm just so tired so I am beyond caring about what she might do do me at this point... as far as she claimed that she opposed the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, you just never know what people are thinking.) I tried to act as responsible as a leader as I could, but also at the same time, I had a bad attitude towards the command staff because they were being one-sided and very inconsistent.

Those of us who are in the leadership positions flew out to Ft. Lewis, Washington a few days earlier for some last minute detail planning and also a ride in a Chinook helicopter, courtesy of the aviation unit to which our unit's now housed in. They flew us over Mt. Rainer and it was simply beautiful! I am waiting for the pictures to be sent over this way electronically so I can show some to you guys.

I also got a chance to finally meet up with my friend Cindy. We have known each other for the last 15 years and she swore that neither of us had changed... at least in appearance. I had dinner with her and her new man, Delaney... he's a whole 10 years younger than her and I just have to say that I'm so proud of her! They both are happy and living it up in Seattle... I wish that I had more time to visit with them!

Then I flew to Hawaii and spent two weeks there, the first week was very hectic, with my work schedule from 6 A.M. to 2 P.M... and an hour of commute time from our hotel to the work site.. I had to wake up at around 4 A.M. ... there were a lot of afternoons where I was just struggling to keep some kind of awake. I think I must have consumed just about all sorts of the so called "energy drinks" available.. and you know what? None of them work as claimed!

We finally had one day off, after about 6 schedule revisions.... and what army unit is a real army unit without one of these "mandatory fun day"? For that, we went to one of the local military hotels and ate at the exact same restaurant that we had eaten at the year prior.

More in the next entry...


SassyFemme said...

Hope that nothing comes of your commander finding out. It just sucks that you even have to worry about it.

Nerdstar said...

This is the part where I am THANKFUL that the reserves is not my primary source of income, either is the desire to retire military. I guess it was a leap of faith and eventually, everything will turn out fine, you know?