Thursday, July 20, 2006

Going on emergency leave

I'm at the airport in Tokyo, waiting to get on a plane so I can go see my grandma for the last time. It'll be a whirlwind trip, by that I mean very quickly we will have the memorial service, and then proceed to bury her on Monday.

Tomorrow, after I touch down, I will go and see her at the funeral home, and in some ways, my feelings are mixed. The feelings are part creeped, part sad, and part anticipatory I'm sure that those of you who have been through the death of a loved one will identify with me.

From talking with my sister last night, it seems like I was the last one to have talked to grandma just before she fully stopped breathing and died. As soon as I told her I loved her and not to worry, I'll see her later, her breathing just stopped. That's grandma, considerate and kind until the very end. I got forwarded some pictures of her taken by my sister on grandma's last birthday, two weeks ago, and I all of a sudden got a a sense of how old and frail grandma looked in these photos. At last, she's getting some rest.

The GF is very sympathetic and wishes that she could be there. I don't exactly have a very understanding family, despite of all the good intentions, so she will sit this one out. I will not have a chance to see her but will finish my assignment in Japan and go back to see her, and stay with grandpa for a while.

I will try to post some photos when I get back, of grandma, Japan, and stuff when I get back, but in the meanwhile, I will try my best to fill you in on things.

Wish me luck and lots of strength, I am going to need them!

No comments: