Tuesday, September 20, 2005

One year anniversary

I've been back from Iraq now for a year, and to tell you the truth, I haven't really thought about it too much lately. Occasionally, I'd skim through articles about what's happening in Iraq, mostly, I'd surf the blogs of Iraqi vets or those who are still there.

I can't really say that I'm at that point yet where I feel glad that we've helped the Iraqis to liberate themselves. There are still lots of problems with border issues, the insurgency, and all the growing pains of democratization of a nation. To me, it seems like that the current administration, while it might have meant well, did not bother to make a plan B.

I'm still in touch with some of the folks who were there in Iraq with me, and the common theme is that we are all trying our best to keep on keeping on, with Iraq in our backpockets.

I'm not sure that if the brigade that I was deployed with would have these reunions in the future, it'd be nice, but it doesn't really matter if it doesn't happen. What mattered to me was that having gone to Iraq was like the chance of a lifetime, the most exotic and dangerous trip that I've ever taken. All the blunders which happened back there because of personalities were embarassing but they were like those "one to grow on" experiences.

No comments: