Sunday, February 20, 2005

Long time no see!

Greetings everyone! I know that it has been a while since I've written, and it wasn't that nothing had happened since the time that I came back to Austin. I just wanted to spend as much time as I can with family.

Here's a list of what had happened during the last 2-3 weeks:

1. I got to spend some time during Chinese New Year with my family in Houston.
2. I purchased my first brand new car, a 05' Toyota Matrix, not the souped up version, but that is exactly how I wanted.
3. My grandfather offered to finance the purchase of the car, provided that I leave the girlfriend. I got into an argument with him, realizing that neither of us were going to change our minds, I went ahead and applied to finance the car myself.
4. I think my folks are trying really hard to understand and perhaps even accept my lifestyle, but I know that it's hard, and while I don't expect them to fully do the all the above, I do know that all they wanted for me is to be happy and taken care of.
5. The girlfriend and I had discussed a lot about our fears and insecurities, it's a up hill climb to overcome a lot of obstacles in our relationship, but a worthwhile one.
6. I ate like I wanted.
7. Got to spend quality time with the nephew, he's such a cute and good kid!
8. Didn't think a lot about work.
9. Decided that I was not going to be around people who'll bring me down.
10. Saw my grandparents locked in a passionate embrace, and frankly, I felt a bit traumatized by it, but not in a very bad way.
11. I had a good time hanging out with my younger sister, and looking forward to seeing her next month.

Watching the girlfriend playing poker earlier tonight, I saw that the movie "Courage Under Fire" was on the big screen tv. Although it was about a fictious event from the first Gulf War, I found it more difficult to watch this time around, for some reasons. A friend told me that, having been through combat, you don't try to throw yourself back by exposing yourself to watching war ducmentaries or war movies. I never saw myself as someone who might be easily touched or affected by war movies, but I just may be rethinking about that.

I just heard from my former 1st. Sgt. from Iraq, and he wrote that work doesn't seem to be as important as it used to be, now that we're all back from Iraq. I think I feel the same way, not much seems to shock or rattle me since I came back. It was good to finally hear from him, he was a fine leader and a good human being (still is), and that's hard to find in war or in peace.

I will write more at a later time. Looking forward to getting back to work, and navigating through the unknowns.

1 comment:

Asher Abrams said...

Thanks for posting. Good luck with the new car - and with your family. All the best to you and Beth.